Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Here's The Thing About Women

A young fellow was referred to my office today by his fiance for a New Patient exam.  He was in pretty good shape dentally and we had a nice get-to-know-you chat before we settled down to the business we had set before us.  But during that chit-chat I just had to laugh.

Pure and simple, he is getting married this weekend and was getting his teeth checked and cleaned for the big event.  According to his records, he hadn't graced the halls of a dental office in 5 years or so.  But at the suggestion of his bride-to-be, here he was!

Further chit-chat.  He had also just had a manicure and a pedicure, and you can suppose that those were not his idea either.  He didn't NOT enjoy them.  He did them, liked the results and didn't even act surprised when his Love mused that this might be the beginning of many of these pamperings to come.  He was taking it all in stride mind you.  There was no feigning of disgust or displeasure in his voice or eyes.

What he said next is probably what made me think that this might be worthy blog material.  He admitted that he does not dance.  Nothing against it, just never did.  Now this fellow has a very pleasant appearance, dresses appropriately and is as smart as an attorney needs to be.  But cummulatively, he just never felt called to get a manicure nor a pedicure nor to dance.  But for the last 3 or so months, he has been taking dancing lessons, and by his own words will perform Saturday night with his new wife a combination fox trot, rumba and salsa (spelling??), and he's doing all this because he wants to please this woman who is soon to become his wife. 

In the wonderful movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", the mother of the main female character is talking to her daughter about how things were in life and I will never forget one of her lines.  She said, "the man is the head of the house. But the woman is the neck.  And she can turn the head any way she wants!"  And folks, that's about the way it is.  Women can make men do things that they never imagined that they would do, many times enjoying it and oftentimes thinking that it was their good idea to begin with.  I do that.  Regularly.  And we men are under the assumption that men run this world, and that's probably the opinion that most women are comfortable with us having!

I have one wife and two daughters.  I work with 4 women daily and have for the last 30 years. My favorite female Yellow Lab Belle died a few years ago but I still have her picture on my screen saver at work.  I used to sit in a room years ago when my mother had ladies over to our house to play bridge and I just listened to their stories and patter.  One of them would crack a little lady joke, and they would all smile and laugh and laugh and at the very end of their laughing, there would be a short pause and then always one of them would have a trail-off phrase of "Oh, shooooooooooooooot".  I didn't know how much I enjoyed just being a fly on the wall then.  I still do to this day.

This young fellow that I met this morning is going to have a wonderful life.  I'll bet a quarter.

Dr. S

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh Dad, I love that you blog now. This was a genius idea that drug-induced Chris Miller had

    ReplyDelete